Monday, March 1, 2010

Thing #12

I started with the Google Calendar. I found the calendar very easy to use. My first thought was that I need to figure out a way to get the alerts to my husband, he never can remember what I am doing. There are times when I get done at an interview, doctors appointment, etc, I will find a dozen missed calls and voicemails wondering where I am. After that initial thought I began thinking how important this would be for myself as a student and once I start teaching. There will be many deadlines, steps to a project or meetings in the coming years. It will be important to keep track of them. If I made a public calendar as a teacher it could have all of the assignments, projects, tests or reading for each class and be accessible to he students and/or parents.



I found iGoogle to be very exciting too. The first thing that caught my attention was the weather 5-day forecast. I am obsessed with always knowing what the weather is. At first glance it reminded me of the way the Dashboard can be set up on a Mac. I have never worked with it very much but my husband has is account set-up, when he clicks on his dashboard the weather shows, calendar, sticky-notes, etc. I think the gadgets were the most fun. I added ones that were silly, simply because I like them, like the turtles and penguins, I love turtles and penguins. Then I added the important gadgets such as FOX News and the weather radar. Even the To Do List gadget, I am the queen of lists, especially to do lists, then there are the shopping lists and the items to bring lists. It is a sickness, I have lists everywhere, I blame it on my mother. I then spend a large portion of time moving, minimizing and deleting the assortment of gadgets all over my iGoogle page. I believe that this is a great resource for us as educators but for our students as well. We are moving into times where we do not need to know all sorts of information, we need to know how to search for information. Making an iGoogle page like I have creates every possible type of search, weather, news, movie times, recipes, sports, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment