Monday, March 1, 2010

Thing #11

I started with Bloglines to search for special education related blogs. I began my search with "special education" I was hoping to find something relevant to follow. I did not find their "search"to be very useful. Maybe because I had a broad topic, but I was looking for bloggers that were only special education related, not just scanning the blog titles for that phrase, I would come across items that were just news feeds of who the new special education head of the department was for such-and-such city.

When I was reading the Cool Cat Teacher Blog I found a bit more success, and not through any search engine. When it suggested that we look at the "blogroll," I did. From there I started looking at other blogs on that roll and adding the ones I liked to my RSS feed. I was traveling from blog to blog when I came across a post that was titled Stop Reading-Skim Dive Skim. I clicked on the blog, began reading, then stopped, and started cracking up as I realized I was literally doing, letter for letter, what the blog was discussing. So often we read anymore by skimming, stopping and reading or "diving" more in depth at key points and then skimming on.

With Technorati I had a little more success in my search for a significant special education blog. At first, searching for "special education" turned up nothing, but without the quotes I had some results to search through. The one that caught my attention was Teaching All Students I found this to be a mix of good usable information and a good source of personal tales. The writer is a special education teacher and often blogs about using technology with his students.

No comments:

Post a Comment