Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thing #18

This "Thing" was so funny to me. This was about the only Thing that I was able to think "Oh... I got that!" I started with a MySpace account about 6-7 years ago when it was first popular. Then when Facebook came out I was very resistant to changing over to it. Eventually I created an account because my little sister, my dad and my mom had created accounts. At first I found Facebook to be boring because there was not the same opportunities to make it unique and personalized with color and graphics. Eventually though, I realized that it was more professional, user friendly, and I found that I was using Facebook more and more. I am now a full-time Facebooker and I rarely check my MySpace account anymore... maybe, every other week? What I love is that Facebook does a better job of putting you in touch with old classmates and co-workers, even family! My grandma has officially joined the Facebook community at Christmas. I love it, she still lived in Michigan and she came down when my husband and I first bought out first home. Now she is able to keep up and follow all the things we are doing to make the "house" our "home. I do wish that she had been a part of this sooner, like when we were over in Japan, there were so many things I was posting on a daily basis to keep in touch with friends and family in the states and to share our new lives with them.
I would see this as being a social tool for the classroom. If a group was created for the class, then parents and even students that have accounts could join in. I believe that even more so than a blog, this would be a good place to post pictures of activities in the classroom or just a quick daily update on how the school day went.

Kate Newsham's Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment