Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thing #23 Yay!!!!!


Dr. Wall's 23 Things is loosely inspired from 43 Things I Might want to Do this Year and the 43 Things website that is a goal setting social community network. When you go to the 43 Things page you are presented with tags for all these things that people want to do. The only thing I noticed was that a few of the tags should be combined. I believe if they were there would be only.... 43 things on the page when you view it. There were tags for "lose 10 lbs" and "lose weight", these could have been combined. The 43 Things I might want to do this Year website is more directly related to technology. I believe that a lot of these items we have covered. I think that it would be a great website to send or forward on to friends and family that you know "thing" they are tech savvy. Then maybe they can have the same eye-opening experience that I have had this semester. I look at the list and see it as a general guideline for all things technical that we should be ensuring that our students are capable of doing. The list should be broken up into the items that all elementary school students should know and be able to do and then the middle school ages... that by high school our students would be masters of these tools and be more fully prepared to enter the read world where these tools are very much so at use.

It was kind of funny how we started the semester off with Creative Commons in LiveText and are just now ending the semester with Creative Commons in 23 Things. In all honestly I believe that it should have been much further up on our list, like #5 maybe? Thankfully we had the class lesson on it, otherwise I may have been at a high risk of copyright infringement throughout the 23 Things project, outside of the Fair Use policy. This is a very serious issue that should be addressed immediately with students. I think that once they understand it they should be held responsible for it. My only other thought was to limit the search abilities on school computers strictly to the Creative Commons Search option.

No comments:

Post a Comment